Friday, June 29, 2012

San Diego!

In April my sister and I took a girl's weekend to San Diego. We had a blast! We visitied the Gas Lamp District the first night and had some super yummy Mexican food. Baltimore, much like most of the east coast, is a little bit of a Mexican food wasteland... so it was nice to have a taste of home.
 
mmmm... Mexican Food
My beautiful Sister being silly in the Gas Lamp District
  
The second day we went to SeaWorld. We watched pretty much all of the shows. Of course we saw the Orcas, Sea Lions and Dolphins (which by the way are much bigger than I thought they would be, kind of creepy)... but we also saw a Bulga Whale. It was like watching an angel in the water. Now I see why Sailors thought they were Mermaids, they are utterly enchanting (unlike the aforementioned Dolphins).

Beautiful Orca
Me waiting for the One Ocean show to start. 
Angelic Bulga Whale

The third day we went to the San Diego Zoo. EVERYONE says that you need two days to see it because it is soooo big. We saw all of it in a day. It was a nice zoo, but I like Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado better.

Entrance to San Diego Zoo
Secretary bird. He is 3ft tall... SO awesome!

Since the zoo didn't take a full day we had an extra day on our hands. So we went on a Harbor Tour in which we saw "real" sea lions, the Navy Base, a bunch of Navy ships (which we already know I nothing about, but they were cool) and more. We also toured USS Midway which is a retired air-craft carrier. Our Grandfather served in the Navy in WWII and he would have been in this type of ship. It was neat to see all of it and imagine what it would have been like to be him back when he served.

View of the Navy Base from the Harbor Tour, that is a Navy Patrol boat.
"Real" Sea Lions hanging out on the bait traps
Deck of the USS Midway
The Brig on the USS Midway. My Grandpa was quite the trouble
maker in his youth and ended up in the brig at least once.

Even though our feet hurt we still had some time left so we went to Balboa Park; which was beautiful and what I always envisioned California looking like.

Balboa Park
Very intricate architecture elements... breathtaking. 
To me, this is what I always assumed sunny California looked like.

In the end it was an AMAZING vacation and it was wonderful to spend it with my best-friend and sister!

No comments: