Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Conroys go to Washington DC

United States Capitol
Back in December Jeremy and I made our first trip down to DC. It has been one of many surreal trips that I have taken since moving to Maryland. I never thought I would visit Washington DC. It wasn't that I didn't want to visit it, it just wasn't high on my priority list and I figured I would never make it there. So after exiting the train station and walking a couple of blocks we saw our first glimpse of the United States Capitol; it was kind of a shock. "Oh we are really in DC." We walked the entire National Mall that day and saw pretty much all of the monuments, even though it was a cold day. My top two favorites, which if you know me shouldn't come as a surprise, were the Library of Congress buildings and the Roosevelt Monument. Of course the Lincoln Monument was amazing as well and the War Memorials definitely made you stop and think. The Korean War Memorial had me in tears. Being the Nation's Capital everything is beautiful. One other highlight of this trip was seeing the Declaration of Independence, we had a hard time finding where it was housed... but it was worth all of the effort to see the original. Since this trip we have been working on visiting the museums in detail. Though they are huge! It took us almost 4 hours to go through half of 1 floor of the National Museum of American History! Luckily the museums don't charge admission, we will definitely be visiting them again soon.

Korean War Memorial

To ceiling of one of the Library of Congress buildings

Lincoln Memorial

My guy with the Washington Monument in the background. 
White House

Roosevelt Memorial. This sculpture reminded us of
Wyatt so I had to get a picture with him.

No comments: